Seeking Additional Fiction Staff
January 26, 2015
Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we are interested in adding another fiction editor to our staff at Paper Nautilus.
Our wishlist: We are looking for someone who can donate roughly 2-3 hours a week to reading and commenting on our fiction submissions. This responsibility will be completed remotely, and can be located anywhere with a reliable internet connection. Someone responsible and self-directed, and who has familiarity with Submittable from an editor’s end is ideal. We are laid-back and virtually drama-free, so being open to compromise and respectful of the other editors’ tastes is a must. Previous experience preferred, but not necessarily required.
Interested? Please send a paragraph or two about yourself, along with brief responses to the following questions, to: paper.nautilus (at) mail.com
1. Can you give us a list (5-10 examples) of your favorite fiction writers?*
2. Do you have any experience working on literary publications? If so, can you tell us a little about it?
3. Are you familiar with Submittable at all? As a writer, editor, or both?
4. What makes you interested in becoming a Fiction Editor?
5. Pretend for a minute that this opening is for your very favorite literary journal. What other journal would you most like to edit for?*
[* = These are not trick questions designed to rule anyone out, but rather just a way for us to get a better feel for your tastes.]
As with all of our positions (including my own), this is an unpaid, volunteer opportunity. I truly wish I could pay my staff for their time, which I deeply value. This year, I made it a point to send each of my editors a nominal check out of my own, private account, as a gesture of gratitude – but I cannot truthfully guarantee I will always be able to afford to do so.
Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you!